Monday, February 11, 2008

DC- The City that Only Occasionally Sleeps

Only a short post today because it's really been a pretty slow week here in DC. Also, I may have forgotten to post earlier today and I'm tired:) I promise this won't be a regular thing.

The internship has slowed down a little after the Iran conference has ended, but things promise to pick up again with the coming Pakistani and Iranian elections- Nick and I are going to a free-breakfast pre-Pakistani Election event Friday morning. I spent the week doing random work and writing a few press releases and staff biographies, and went to an interesting book talk Friday about a book on the leadup to September 11 and the Afghanistan invasion- they had me working audio, so there's another application I've found here for my broadcast training.

Classes were also slow this week- Tuesday's was interrupted throughout with Super Tuesday discussion and subsequently didn't involve much deep discussion. Wednesday's economics was more interesting than usual with a focus on the primaries and each candidate's financial positions; Thursday's issues class featured a speaker that decided not to come and an Iran conference that would have been far more entertaining had I not spent the previous Friday at 7 hours of Iran speeches. The highlight of Thursday came at our lunch break where we found out from a group of convention-goers in our restaurant that Romney had dropped out- nicccccce.

The weekend was a little slow and lonely without half of our room here (Alex w/ a friend, Nick and a few others back in Cuse). Mostly it was spent getting work done and watching the series "Rome", which I'd really recommend to any history buff; it's a very entertaining, dramatic, and apparently historically accurate (done by BBC) look at ancient Rome, starting right around when Caesar returned from Gaul.

John McCain's still way ahead in the polls and I'm glad to see that. Unlike most McCain supporters, I wouldn't push for Huckabee to drop out of the race; I'm a true believer in the democratic process and it's definitely his right to stay in the running if he thinks he'd be a better choice. What I do wish is that he'd realize that his chances of winning are very slim and that the attacks he makes on McCain are doing far more to hurt the Republican chances than to help his. Mike, if you want to keep running, run on your own policies, not on the detriment of your opponent's.

On the other side of the aisle, I hate to say it, but it looks like Obama's going to start running away with this one. I'm sure Hillary won't be dropping out before the convention, but I think by the time spring hits we're going to have a clear McCain-Obama race (I might add, trying not to say it too braggingly, that I was the only one of the group here to predict that race in mid-January when we got here:)).

That's about it for me- here's an ad for Barack Obama, and while I don't agree with or support him, the ad itself is beautifully done and I'd highly recommend watching it.

No comments: