Monday, February 4, 2008

"Champagne? '72 sounds like a good year!"

I would be remiss if I did not start this post with a hats off to the New York Football Giants- not only as a Dolphins fan and a Patriot hater, but also as a fan of the game of football. The team gave me the pleasure of watching what may have been the best Super Bowl ever played- without a doubt, it was the most exciting I've ever watched. Covering the Giants over the summer, I have to admit that no one at the camp in their wildest dreams was imagining what happened last night. So, kudos to Strahan & Co.

Here in DC, the internship game is starting to heat up. I just sent off my first internship application today by fax to National Public Radio (which, if I read right, has the chance of producing a paid internship- that sure would be something). Next up on the list is the summer White House one, which is a bit of a long shot but hey, you don't lose points for trying. At the Iran Conference (more on that later), I sat next to a Voice of America journalist who made a good pitch for an internship there- added that to my list. And, if my emails to the McCain campaign are answered, I might see about working on that over the summer too.

The Iran Conference basically consumed my internship life over the past week- lots of copying, laminating, cutting, and putting together 300 informational folders for all the attendees. When it actually came, I finally got to put on my suit (check the pic, awwwful snazzy:)). I did, however, manage to not notice it was raining and then promptly get lost on the way to the hotel (I was looking for a Hyatt, which apparently doesn't exist in DC- who would've thought it would be at the Ritz?) I was saved, though, by the fact that I walked in front of my supervisor's car crossing the street two blocks past the hotel. That, my friends, is a lucky coincidence. The rest of the day was filled with me taping 8 hours of Iran speeches by Americans and Arabs- interesting, but mannn does it drag on standing there behind the camera. I picked up some information from it though, plus, I was reimbursed for my $9 Ritz-Carlton chicken fingers:).

I remain in a strange state between understanding and confusion in my economics class- luckily, Chad is a fairly good economist so I get by. In the issues class, though, I did pretty well (A on my first issues paper) and I did real well in our State of the Union and Gaza Strip discussions (that one thanks to the Gaza event the previous morning). Thursday's class (which is really just becoming known as Tourism/Guest Speaker Class) gave us our best speech yet by a few Iraq researchers at the Center for a New American Security (which, I found out offers a paid internship- it's on the list:)). He had a well-designed powerpoint, a clear speech, and answered questions well. The other two speeches weren't as good- the Nixon Center guy seemed like he didn't know any more than we do about Iraq and the last place (can't remember where) were pretty flat and boring.

The weekend here was pretty lax- Saturday involved a trip to the Spy Museum, which was mad cool- I seriously recommend it to anyone coming here. They show off great spy gadgets and techniques, but be warned, the museum is a lot bigger than it looks from the outside- it takes a long time to get through. The stuff about the atomic bomb and the Cold War were sweet, the weapons were the coolest part in my mind, like the Russian "Umbrella Gun"- yes, it's exactly what it sounds like. Among my other discoveries was that Maxwell Smart (from "Get Smart," and the new movie with Carrell looks great) had the same voice as inspector gadget. No pictures allowed there, sorry I couldn't show more- I suppose if I were a better spy, I could've taken some. Following that trip was a crepe party, hosted by Alex and attended by most of the program here, which was delicious. Ever had crepes? No? Come here, Alex will make some pretty awesome ones:) And Sunday was, of course, the Super Bowl party, featuring my latest cooking attempt, the mini-bacon sandwiches mom always makes. They were a huge hit- am I better at cooking than I think I am?

Tomorrow is, of course, Super Tuesday. I don't like to sound biased, but I really think McCain will pull it out. For the Dems, though, I don't think there's going to be a clear winner- the two are just too close. We'll spend most of class tomorrow getting updates when the polls close, and, with any luck, I'll be celebrating that McCain win. Everyone back in NY, remember to vote!

Last night had some pretty good ads- here are my favorite three. Enjoy!






No comments: