Monday, May 12, 2008

Back in Business- if, by business, you mean Israel

Got to Israel at about 11 yesterday after a obscenely long trip- 15 minutes on the metro, an hour on the MARC train 11 hours overnight in BWI, 2 hours on the tiniest plane I've ever flown on (read: propellers), 9 hours in Toronto's airport (which, nicely, provided me with $5 worth of Tim Horton's donuts in return for taking a survey on my airport experience), 11 1/2 hours on the Israel flight (2 meals provided, as well as movies- I made it through Jumper, Cloverfield, I Am Legend, and, as a last resort, the Golden Compass), and finally, at noon local time Sunday after a crazy cab ride, I made it to the hotel. Needless to say, got plenty of reading done on the trip (and for anyone interested in the distorted Arab-US perceptions of each other, take a look at Lawrence Pintak's "Reflections in a Bloodshot Lens"- very interesting and informative book by the man who is leading the Egypt/Qatar program next month).

Nice place here- internet, pool, AC, great food- I took a nice hot shower first before taking a nice 4 hour nap. Afterwards, I awoke to find out that my group's plane was 2 hours late, much to my hungry stomach's chagrin. Nevertheless, they made it and I met everyone, nice group. We ate dinner at the hotel- Hoummus, assorted appetizers, rice, beef, chicken- the waiter complemented my "strong appetite" and said I was like Arnold Schwarzenegger in that respect:) Afterwards, we explored the beach and town a bit at night- very warm and nice place, I think we'll enjoy it. I was able to get in touch and skype with the folks back home when I got back before bed.

This morning involved a good breakfast (apparently, a pepper-laced tuna salad is breakfast here- very tasty:)) and a long trip to the beach. I avoided burns (barely) and got some reading done. Water was beautiful. Lunch was at a small restaurant near there- got a great Schawarma on a pita- hummus, chicken, onions, tabbouleh, and french fries. right now, we're headed out to do some walking around the town in the day. More updates to come as classes and trips around the region start- hope everyone's well, leave comments here if you have any messages for me. Shalom!

No comments: