Monday, March 10, 2008

Sicko, Without the Fat Man or Castro

Sorry about the crap-out last week, I've had a little rough week in terms of health. Things are looking to be on the upswing now, thanks to a weekend spent recuperating with tea, ramen noodles, and a very comfy futon couch. As a result, however, there isn't quite as much to talk about- we'll see how much I can squeeze out of this.

First, the most exciting news of the past week- I'm going to Israel! Syracuse accepted me into the two-week abroad program in Herzliya, Israel (just north of Tel Aviv) from May 11-May 26. We'll be studying counterterrorism and Middle East Policy there, and I couldn't be more excited. And for those worried about safety, Herzliya is about as far from a border as you can get in Israel, as well as being the site of the homes of most foreign ambassadors to the country. More on that as we receive more information, but suffice it to say that I'm quite excited to be making my first trip into the Middle East.

So imagine my surprise when I turned on the news not too long ago to find this story on the front page ab out my state's governor- oh, Eliot...apparently, the story is quite the hit among the alliterative graphic-makers of the news world for the potential to label it "Spitzer's Sex Scandal." They haven't had this much fun since our President announced "Mission Accomplished" as part of "Bush's Big Boat Broadcast- Boast or Blunder?" As for Spitzer, I rather feel that a man who spent his career fighting people who would run prostitution rings (as well as running for for governor on his record of doing so) might want to avoid becoming part of that criminal entity. Just maybe. Not even to mention that wife and his three daughters. But hey, it's not like he's been any sort of ineffective, controversial governor. Let's look at the Spitzer Record since in office:


July 2007- News breaks that Spitzer has been using state police to track the movements of State Senate rival Joe Bruno, allegedly in an attempt to cause damage to his reputation.

September 2007- Spitzer announces a plan to allow illegal aliens to obtain drivers' licenses, which would effectively nullify them as a valid form of ID. Spitzer withdraws the plan after a poll shows dismal approval rates for the plan.

December 2007- A Siena poll shows approval ratings for Spiter at 36% among New Yorkers- about half of the 69% of the vote he received in the 2006 election.

Ahhh, the Spitzer administration- good times. My guess is we'll be seeing very little of him around the next gubernatorial elections.

In more national politics, I was happy to celebrate a McCain win (officially), but not as happy as you might think to see the Dem fight continue. Sure, I suppose it gives McCain an advantage in preparation, campaigning, and ammunition against his opponent, but I am starting to get tired of the Democratic race. I don't think it's a bad thing or wrong, but who can honestly say they aren't tired of hearing Hillary and Barack go after each other? I am- but I guess we'll be hearing from them plenty over the next few months.

As for life here, it's been pretty boring lately- just filling out applications, heading to the Middle East Institute, and chilling with the friends here. The excitement this week comes from Syracuse in the Big East Tournament and Nick and Steve heading down here for the week. It's always nice to see my little bro and his crazy friend- we should have a fun time being tourists and checking out the cool architecture, with a nice day-closing dose of pizza rolls. Good times, good times.

As always, I continue to wait for word back on the summer internships- but it's nice to know that I'll be headed somewhere in May. And as I look to next semester, I realize I might even be able to finish school a semester early- I might be nine months from graduation. More news on that frightening development as we work it out.

Hope you all are much healthier than I am, enjoy this interesting retelling of American military history as told with some delicious props- tata!

No comments: